January 14th, 2013:
A residential structure fire occurred early this morning in the 800 block of Hope Lane in the City of Lafayette. The first call was received at 2:55am reporting smoke in the residence. Engine 15 from downtown Lafayette was the first to arrive and was confronted with a bridge over Las Trampas Creek which was not rated to handle the weight of the fire engine. As a result, hose had to be stretched not only from the fire engine to a hydrant (which was located a significant distance away), but also up the long driveway to the house.
All occupants were out of the house upon our arrival and there were no injuries. Three cats were rescued from the residence.
The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes and extensive overhaul had to be completed. Three engines, one ladder truck and one battalion chief responded from our Fire District and one engine and battalion chief responded from the Moraga-Orinda Fire Protection District under our automatic aid agreement.
Fire damage was estimated at $50,000 to the structure with additional loss of personal effects stored in the garage and basement. The fire damage was limited to the room of origin and moderate smoke damage throughout the entire house above the fire.
The fire started in a basement storage area from a space heater located too close to combustibles. Space heaters should only be used following the manufacturer’s recommendations for clearance to combustibles and should never be operated within three (3) feet of combustibles.
Click here for more information on winter home fire safety.